Github user echarles commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/980

    Dealing with mixed scala 2.10/2.11 and spark 1.x/2.x with a same
implementation is always possible but drives to code plenty of method
invocation (see e.g.
https://github.com/lresende/incubator-zeppelin/pull/1/files#diff-dbda0c4083ad9c59ff05f0273b5e760fR216).

    At the end, you have an implementation which a succession of if (...) then
invokeMethod...

    On the other hand, having multiple implementations drives to maintenance
overhead and a risk of divergence.

    In this particular case, I was thinking that having 2 lines was something
worth to discuss:

    1.- Spark 1.x on scala 2.10
    2.- Spark 2.x on scala 2.11

    I also don't see why we should still support the DepInterpreter in future
developments (normally, deps should be configured via the interperter
settings). Also, the 2 lines approach would make easier other evolutions such
as for example having a ZeppelinContext available for all interpreters.

    Also, we have kind-off already more than one spark impementation: The Livy
one has its own implementation and features.

---
with INFRA.
---