Hi Anish,

thanks for keeping us posted about a progress!

CommonCrawl is important dataset and it would be awesome if we could
find a way for you to build some notebooks for it though this this
years GSoC program.

How about running Zeppelin on a single big enough node in AWS for the
sake of this notebook?
If you use spot instance you could get even big instances for really
affordable price of 2-4$ a day, just need to make sure your persist
notebooks on S3 [1] to avoid loosing the data and shut down it for the
night.

AFAIK We do not have free any AWS credits for now, even for a GSoC
students. If somebody knows a way to provide\get some - please feel
free to chime in, I know there are some Amazonian people on the list
:)

But so far AWS spot instances is the most cost-effective solution I
could imagine of. Bonus: if you host your instance in region us-east-1
- transfer from\to S3 will be free, as that's where CommonCrawl
dataset is living.

One more thing - please check out awesome WarcBase library [2] build
by internet preservation community. I find it really helpful, working
with web archives.

On the notebook design:
 - to understand the context of this dataset better - please do some
research how other people use it. What for, etc.
   Would be a great material for the blog post
 - try provide examples of all available formats: WARC, WET, WAT (in
may be in same or different notebooks, it's up to you)
 - while using warcbase - mind that RDD persistence will not work
until [3] is resolved, so avoid using if for now

I understand that this can be a big task, so do not worry if that
takes time (learning AWS, etc) - just keep us posted on your progress
weekly and I'll be glad to help!

 1.
http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.6.0-SNAPSHOT/storage/storage.html#notebook-storage-in-s3
 2. https://github.com/lintool/warcbase