Hi Paul,

this sounds very strange indeed.

Please make sure you are using latest master and to get correct
interpreters classnames - it should be enough to delete
/conf/interpreter-settings.json and restart Zeppelin - it will be
re-created.

Regarding dependencies for to run %python.sql (it's implementation is
PythonInterpreterPandasSql), please refer [1] and make sure pre-requests
are installed on your system's Python (or the one that is configured to use
through interpreter settings UI)

If nothing helps, please feel free to file a Jira issue with description on
how the error can be reproduced and I will be happy to help you and look
more into it!

1.
https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/blob/master/docs/interpreter/python.md#sql-over-pandas-dataframes

--