Github user agoodm commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/1329

    @bzz The way I see it the pros and cons of each format can be summed up as
follows:

    ### SVG
    Pros:
    - Vector so image quality will be consistent regardless of resolution
    - Displays more quickly for simple plots (eg. single line plots)

    Cons:
    - Very slow for complex plots involving many data points

    ### PNG
    Pros:
    - Lightweight regardless of the complexity of the plot

    Cons:
    - Does not scale to higher resolutions as well due to being raster
    - _Slightly_ slower to display simple plots

    To be honest, I am not really sure which option would be best to default
to. png is the default format in most matplotlib backends so that is why I have
chosen it for now, but I think it's worth thinking about. Either way though I
don't think the choice of default format will matter in terms of backwards
compatibility as the change should be seamless for users.  I am fine with
either option honestly.

---
with INFRA.
---