Github user zjffdu commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/2418

    >> Do we need to support kerberos-like auth in the communication protocol
(you can achieve this with Thrift, not sure with Netty)?

    This is internal communication channel between zeppelin server and
interpreter process, so I don't think it is necessary to use kerberos here. But
definitely, we need to make sure this channel secure, I think both thrift and
netty support security channel.

    >> Do we target a single implementation dropping the other or something
that can be configured with the burden to maintain multiple implementations?

    We would use just one, that's why I  mention in the above comment that
before we choose thrift or netty, we need to consider the whole picture.

    >> What about REST (for more easy and universal clients) or WebSocket (for
push) as more alternatives?

    I don't see much advantages of using websocket. Netty and thrift both could
do the push.  And the communication channel here is one-to-one, not one-to-many.

---
with INFRA.
---