Github user echarles commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/2637

    I am playing in cluster mode setting/removing via the interpreter page the
`spark.app.name` and `spark.kubernetes.driver.pod.name` and so far the only to
make it work (= remote executor finding the spark driver) is really having the
absence of those props in the interpreter page (maybe I am fooled with
`spark.app.name`).

    Yes, checking if a specific `spark.kubernetes.driver.pod.name`  prop and
using it will be an expected enhancement, and may even solve the
`spark.app.name` potential issue.

    It also seems to me that Zeppelin adds `spark.app.name` and `master` props
if they are not present.

    I guess we should for now rely on that behavior and ensure in this PR that
enough intuitive and documented material is available for the end-user.

---