Github user sanjaydasgupta commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/3000

    @Tagar thanks for your comments.

    The thought here was to make the best of a bad situation. If and when the
`delete()` fails, no recovery action is possible at the user level. So the only
further action left is to notify the run-time-library that we are no longer
interested in the file, and that the RTL should try to delete it if possible at
some logical point in time (process exit).

    The orphaned file will not be automatically overwritten later because
`File.createTempFile(...)` will always attempt to create a new filename that is
unused in the directory.

    This is probably an obscure corner case without major negative consequences
when handled either way. It is also likely impossible to test in a repeatable
way.

    My only motivation for this addition was to silence the Intellij IDE's
warning that the return value of `delete()` had been ignored, but I think there
are no technical errors in the overall logic.

---