If we want to make the intepreters system modular to decouple souce code,
the process of activating an interpreter should be flexible and easy to use.

Asking end-users to make a custom build is not a viable strategy. Recently
I've seen some people trying to make a custom build of Zeppelin and facing
a lot of issues (incorrect Maven version, no Bower installed, incorrect
repository policies settings for Maven etc ...)

Ideally, activating an interpreter should be as simple as dropping a jar
into the lib directory