Amos

"It's also not correct to say that the test class even "fails" -- what's
happening is that the testing infrastructure for this class fails to load."
--> This is the behavior I have observed many many times

Being a heavy user of Travis (see my other open source project
www.achilles.io) I can tell you that random failure due to hardware under
heavy load (so not being able to start a process for testing) is VERY VERY
common.

Usually, when US west coast wakes up, the servers gets busy and tests start
to fail because not enough resources

Did you try to "force push" on the PR208 with the removed Spark test
several times to trigger CI again ? I know that this trick has always
worked for me until now