On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Mahadev Konar <maha...@apache.org> wrote:
>  I have been thinking about what should be the criteria for PMC
> members for ZK. I do not have much experience with PMC member criteria
> for other projects except for Hadoop. In Hadoop we indirectly imply
> that a PMC member be a superset of a committer. Meaning more
> responsibilities than a committer, more responsibility towards project
> direction, more responsibilities towards projects day to day
> activities.

Hey Mahadev, from an Apache perspective coding doesn't really come
into play, PMC is more about governance/legal/community than coding:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc
The key components are this:

"The role of the PMC from a Foundation perspective is oversight. The
main role of the PMC is not code and not coding - but to ensure that
all legal issues are addressed, that procedure is followed, and that
each and every release is the product of the community as a whole.
That is key to our litigation protection mechanisms.

Secondly the role of the PMC is to further the long term development
and health of the community as a whole, and to ensure that balanced
and wide scale peer review and collaboration does happen. Within the
ASF we worry about any community which centers around a few
individuals who are working virtually uncontested. We believe that
this is detrimental to quality, stability, and robustness of both code
and long term social structures."

Further there is no requirement that a PMC member even be a committer.
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-members
"A PMC member is a developer or a committer that was elected due to
merit for the evolution of the project and demonstration of
commitment. They have write access to the code repository, an
apache.org mail address, the right to vote for the community-related
decisions and the right to propose an active user for committership.
The PMC as a whole is the entity that controls the project, nobody
else."

What you are describing about coding/review is more Committership and not PMC.

> By the above I imply that a PMC member has a greater set of
> responsibilities that a committer and should be able to review (any
> contribution) and contribute towards ZK releases.
>
> What do others think?

Wrt to great responsibilities that's definitely true, however PMC
responsibilities are around governance, while Committer
responsibilities are coding/reviewing.

Patrick