Thomas,

Upfront warning. I am not in charge of ZooKeeper or affiliated with them except
for submitting patches.

While I understand the power of Scala, what is the major benefit of changing
all of the Java code over to Scala? Will this outweigh the decrease in skill
sets that a language such as Java brings? Another technology called Kafka is
written in Scala. It doesn't have anywhere near the support of ZooKeeper. I
attribute most of that to it being written in Scala, which reduces the pool of
developers that can or are willing to work on it.

If your university will truly enhance ZooKeeper I would ask, in an unofficial
capacity, to ensure there is a strong line of separation between items 1 and
2&3. Also keep in mind that I have run FindBugs on ZK myself. Some of the fixes
will break backwards compatibility. Just be aware of that fact.

It is my opinion (could it not be my opinion?) that a C# version that is
capable of running on Mono would benefit the community more than a Scala
version.

My 2 cents,

Andrew