I'm not suggesting it's an all or nothing proposition.  We have a lot
of system/functional level testing, which is great. What we lack is
unit testing. Take this recent ZOOKEEPER-1271 issue as an example - in
many cases it's very hard, at the system level, to exercise all the
code paths esp the failure cases. Perhaps if we had more breadth we
could have caught this earlier.

I'm open to all types of testing, these were just some ideas I had for
"big bang for the buck" type scenario. I encourage you all to add
additional testing, or new types of testing as you see fit.

For example, another area where we are weak is enabling ppl to test
their client code, Camille if you contribute that back I think it
would be awesome! We could layer other things on top of that, for
example some way to trigger different behaviors on the servers which
would cause client failover and such. (the problem there is validating
correct client behavior).

Patrick