Actually we have been trying to maintain backward compatibility on
user facing features, including cli. For example
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1326 was implemented
to maintain b/w compat. It's possible to use the CLI in scripts and
often people automate processes using it. I'd suggest we try hard not
to break things unless absolutely necessary, and then perhaps we
should introduce a new "CLI2" or somesuch, with the original CLI
listed as "deprecated", and then cli1 removed in some later version?
I'd rather not see us break b/w compatibility but perhaps others feel
differently?

Patrick