On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I looked at the patch for ZOOKEEPER-1059 which should have converted the
> NPE to KeeperException.NoNodeException
>
> Why would 'zkcli stat' command return 0 in case hbase master znode expires ?
>
> Advice is appreciated.

Hi Ted, sorry to see you're having troubles. I think I see the
disconnect. ZooKeeperMain is first and foremost a user shell. As such
it should not exit unless the quit command is run (or killed
explicitly, etc...). In this case ZOOKEEPER-1059 is fixing a bug in
the shell. It indeed is converting the NPE into a NoNodeException,
which the shell then converts into an error message to the user, and
continues. Prior to this patch the shell was failing on the NPE, which
then generated the non-0 exit from the process.

Note that trunk has some further improvements along these lines that
you might also run into at some point in the future (3.5+):

I think what we need is to have a tool that's intended for use both
programmatically and by humans, with more strict requirements about
input, output formatting and command handling, etc... Please see the
work Hartmut has been doing as part of 271 on trunk (3.5.0). Perhaps
we can augment these new classes to also support such a tool. However
it should instead be a true command line tool, rather than an shell.
Would you be available to work on this?

Patrick

ps. bigtop is now helping to verify cross project compatibility, it
would be great if you could introduce some hbase tests  that would
flag these breakages in future. When bigtop does it's integration (ie
runs the hbase tests using the corresponding version of zk) it would
find these problems. We'd catch it much earlier. Thanks!