On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM, César Álvarez Núñez
<cesar.alvarez.nu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I thoroughly agree with your opinion.
>
> When you say "major version upgrade", you mean an increase on the 2nd digit
> (for example from 3.4.X to 3.5.X) or the first digit?

The format is major.minor.fix (so 4.x.x would be the next major). The
last time we did a major was when we joined Apache. (2008?) Major
upgrades are very disruptive for users, so we've been reticent to do
so. Rather we favor making changes in a backward compatible way, I
don't see any way to do that here...

> Anyway, is it correct to create a Jira ticket and provide a patch although
> it would not be committed until the next major version upgrade?

That's perfectly fine, although it's likely to hang around for a while
(ie fix version 4.0.0). There are a number of API changes that we've
discussed in the past that are similarly slated. (ie changing the
version from 32bit to 64, etc...)

Patrick