> Insight from the creators/reviewers is probably the most critical
> signal. e.g. how much risk is there, how well is it tested, is the
> value vs the risk worth it.

Patrick, as I mentioned previously, this patch went through many rounds of
review (reviewboard has 26 versions). We ended up with a simple algorithm,
very localized in terms of code changes and much simpler than the code
currently in place, and one for which we can reason about correctness (in
the Jira). Besides new unit tests, Kfir had done extensive system testing,
and actually improved ZK's system test suit for that purpose. Results
attached to the Jira show that there is 10x-20x throughput improvement.
Kfir did an excellent job - I haven't seen many patches recently with
similar level of testing.

Here are two scenarios for which the improvements especially matter:
1. Deployment using observers. The observers run commit processor too, so
they block all their pipeline for
every write, of course this stalls all operations coming from their DC to
the ZK.
2. Any two applications with different workload trying to use the same
ZooKeeper.
This patch brings us much closer to client isolation (if you're worried
about security,
you should be worried about isolation)

I think the fact that both Twitter and Facebook have an internal version of
this patch speaks for itself.

I totally understand Chris's prioritization. I'd like to commit it to trunk
for now, and then you guys can decide which
release to add this in.

I understand much less blanket stability concerns that are stated (in other
threads about this)
without reviewing the work or evaluating its benefits. While we try to
encourage
more contribution to ZK, such approach makes people trying to contribute
feel like their work is
being put in the drawer without due consideration.

Alex