>> Why does ZooKeeper not fix the corrupted entry
automatically using replicas? What is the reason for this design decision?

My view on this is the decision of repair or not might not be always
applicable in any cases - in some cases such as hardware failures it is
better to crashing stop and have admin intervene (i.e. by reconfiguring the
cluster) than prematurely trying to repair autonomously which would not
succeed due to hardware failure, and worse proceeding on top of such
failures might compromise the safety properties ZooKeeper promised. Crashing
immediately sacrifice liveness to certain extent (if the quorum fails to
form by taking out the failed node), but kept the safety property. Another
benefit of crashing immediately is this could greatly simplify the system
model and behavior to reason about, for applications / management layers
built on top of ZK.

On the other side in some cases it might be totally reasonable to try
performing a repair and I remember there are some ZooKeeper JIRAs
describing such best-effort based action. But in general since ZooKeeper
does not deal with Byzantine Faults, it might not always be applicable for
such repair attempts.

--
Cheers
Michael.