It's good to clarify what "move to Java 8" actually means first :) IIUC
moves to Java 8 means:

* We bump minimum support version from 1.7 to 1.8 in build system.
* We are thus free to use Java 8 language features in ZooKeeper source code.

>> but we are running into libraries that we want to use that are compiled
with java8.

ZooKeeper master branch today already build and runs with Java 8 (there
were also reports from user emailing list of running ZK with Java 8 in
prod.). So if the goal is to run ZK with Java 8 then it is trivially
achieved today. Ben - any specific issues you met that block ZooKeeper
usage with the libraries compiled with Java 8?

On another side, it might be a good time to move (with previous definition)
to Java 8 because:

* Java SE 7 went to EOL [1].
* Hadoop eco system is moving to Java 8 so good to keep aligned. [2]

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
[2] http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.0.0-alpha2/

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com

--