Thanks for bringing this issue up. I think it's an important issue for the
ZooKeeper community.

The fundamental issue here is that we don't have enough active code
reviewers and committers, which limits the throughput of the code reviews,
since a patch has to be reviewed and approved by at least one committer to
land. With this constraint the SLA is likely not going to work, unless we
grow the community by increasing code reviewers and committers.

To improve the current situation, my thoughts are:
* Any developers here should participate code reviews as both reviewer
and reviewee. You don't need be a committer to do code reviews.
* Review other people's patch. If you help out, others will be more willing
to do the same for you. If someone is kind enough to review your code, you
should return the favor to for someone else.
* Ping the dev list on your patch. If it's urgent, provide reasons on why
and then ping dev list every couple of days. If it's not urgent, ping dev
list every one or two weeks.
* Ping individual developers directly and / or privately for escalation.
It's less likely such ping will be ignored.

On growing new committer side, PMCs are actively working on bringing new
blood who demonstrates passion and effort on helping out patch reviews,
among other contributions.

--
Cheers
Michael.