Github user hanm commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/338

    @arshadmohammad Audit logging, when enabled, will for sure degrade
performance as it adds additional IO cost. Have you done any sort of
performance evaluation so we can roughly get an idea of what kind of
performance expectation we should have when audit logging is enabled?

    Depends on how the performance degraded on different use cases, you might
want to consider adding an async version of audit logging otherwise this
feature might not be usable (note I am just guessing on the perf numbers here).
Similar case happened on HDFS where an async audit logging was added to avoid
degrading performance on hotspots.

---