Yes, the plan is to backport to 3.5 and also 3.4, but the possibility to
backport just the package changes is still in question.

I am writing up a document which I will share for comments. Should be done
in 1 or 2 days. I am also checking if they will work, so that I can get
maven to work as expected on my local branch.

Thanks for the patience!
Norbert