Hi Andor,

Thanks for your work on addressing the issue.

> On 8 May 2018, at 16:06, Andor Molnar <an...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Updating this thread, because the PR is still being review on GitHub.
>
> So, the reason why I refactored the original behaviour of
> StaticHostProvider is that I believe that it's trying to do something which
> is not its responsibility.

If refactoring is necessary to address the issue, then it should be part of the
PR. Otherwise, it is better to refactor in a separate PR.

> Please tell me if there's a good historical
> reason for that.

I'm not sure what kind of confirmation you are after here. Could you elaborate,
please?

> My approach is giving the user the following to options:
> 1- Use static IP addresses, if you don't want to deal with DNS resolution
> at all - we guarantee that no DNS logic will involved in this case at all.

Sounds fine.

> 2- Use DNS hostnames if you have a reliable DNS service for resolution
> (with HA, secondary servers, backups, etc.) - we must use DNS in the right
> way in this case e.g. do NOT cache IP address for a longer period that DNS
> server allows to and re-resolve after TTL expries, because it's mandatory
> by protocol.

Sounds fine.

> My 2 cents here:
> - the fix which was originally posted for re-resolution is a workaround and
> doesn't satisfy the requirement for #2,

The other solution, if I remember enough of it, tried to avoid resolving
unnecessarily, but perhaps the DNS client cache is enough to avoid the
unnecessary round-trips. This observation actually brings me to the next point:

> - the solution is already built-in in JDK and DNS clients in the right way

Could you elaborate on this point, please? What exactly do you mean with this
statement?