On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 10:34 PM Michael Han <h...@apache.org> wrote:

> Since pkg-config has been available for a long time, what's the drawback in
> terms of compatibilities if we choose only support pkg-config moving
> forward?

It could break existing downstream build infra. Also the issue is not super
obvious when it does manifest - see my comments on the original PR, I ran
into this myself on existing infra where it has previously compiled just
fine (everything before this most recent OS release).

That said, if we doc and explicitly release note it it might be fine, this
is a bit of a rock/hardplace issue.

Patrick