Hi guys,
as I am going to work on Prometheus implementation I should at least
add some minimal metric to expose to MetricsProvider.

In order to introduce a MetricsProvided based instrumentation we
should eventually drop existing instrumentation and replace with the
new system.
The challenge would be to not drop 4 letter words API and/or not to
duplicate all the instrumentation points.

A minimal instrumentation, just to expose some useful value is to add
this method to ZooKeeperServer.java, and expose basic data.

    protected void setupMetrics() {
        rootMetricsContext.registerGauge("outstanding_requests",
                () -> {
                     return serverStats.getOutstandingRequests();
                 });
        rootMetricsContext.registerGauge("znode_count",
                 () -> {
                     return zkDb.getNodeCount();
                 });
        rootMetricsContext.registerGauge("watch_count",
                 () -> {
                     return zkDb.getDataTree().getWatchCount();
                 });
        rootMetricsContext.registerGauge("ephemerals_count",
                 () -> {
                     return zkDb.getDataTree().getEphemeralsCount();
                 });
        rootMetricsContext.registerGauge("approximate_data_size",
                 () -> {
                     return zkDb.getDataTree().cachedApproximateDataSize();
                 });
        rootMetricsContext.registerGauge("global_sessions",
                 () -> {
                     return zkDb.getSessionCount();
                 });
        rootMetricsContext.registerGauge("local_sessions",
                 () -> {
                     return sessionTracker.getLocalSessionCount();
                 });
    }

This approach is not the one I expect for the long term, as each
subsystem (ZkDatabase, Packket Processor)...will have its own specific
instrumentation.
This can work in the very short term only for "gauges" and not for
Summaries (with avg/min/max...) and Counters, which should be
collected in-place.

Do you have any suggestion ?

Enrico