I did a bit more research and it turns out that the crypto.policy option was
introduced u151:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8u151-relnotes-3850493.html
<https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8u151-relnotes-3850493.html>

And started being defined by default with the "unlimited" option in u161:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8u161-relnotes-4021379.html
<https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8u161-relnotes-4021379.html>

I have installed a more recent version, 1.8.0_211, and it builds fine (all
tests pass consistently for me).

I'm now trying to start an ensemble with ssl enabled locally, but it is failing
for me. It looks like the instructions in the admin doc assumes different
hosts. I need to look more closely into it to determine what not is that I'm
doing wrong, but in any case, the instructions do not make it very clear
whether one can run locally.

-Flavio