Yep, ZOOKEEPER-3530 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3530> was
me. :) Sorry to not bring this discussion to the mailing list...

I think having a ...-lib.tgz file generated by maven makes sense, so people
who are using the C client / C libraries can have them built into a single
file on their platform. I think this is also something that apache bigtop
is looking for. This was something that we had in zookeeper 3.4 as well,
but we loose this after the maven migration.

Actually having this file generated during the build doesn't mean that we
have to upload to any official ftp site. It doesn't need to be part of any
official (or "convenience") file we share during the release procedure.

Still, you think it is a bad thing to generate this file together with the
other two artifacts, I propose to hide it behind a maven option. So if
someone wish to make this artifact for himself (e.g. we are using it in our
company) then he would still be able to do so, by using a new maven options
like `mvn clean install -Pfull-build -Pgenerate-native-artifact`.

Kind regards,
Mate