On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 1:18 PM Tamas Penzes <tam...@cloudera.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> I've read the ticket you have linked and also have used my time to ask
> after log4j2 backward compatibility and got quite negative feedback.
>
> It looks like we don't have a proper solution for it. We are (most
> probably) able to provide runtime selection of the logging framework, but
> we would still need a new log4j2 configuration file.
> There is a bw-compatibility layer of log4j configuration, but my sources
> told me not to use it as its functionality is very limited and it never
> became stable enough to use it in production.
>
> So the users must create a new log4j config file for log4j2, but I don't
> think it's a huge problem for ZooKeeper as it is small and its logging
> configuration isn't complex either.
> Doing it at the same time as updating ZooKeeper looks feasible and this is
> why I think we should not invest into the log4j version runtime selection.
>
> One day we have to do this step, my question is when?
> Should we wait for version 4 or can we do it in a "minor release", like
> 3.7. But ZK minor releases are like major releases on other Apache
> components.

What would a migration look like? Could we provide sufficient help for
people to easily migrate? It's not clear to me - if someone is using zk as
a client library and we upgrade log4j to log4j2 do they also need to
upgrade the code they are writing? (the code depending/using the zk jars).
I suspect embedding of zk server is also a possibility, although less
common, what would the impact be there? I believe the answer should be only
the configs but perhaps we should experiment, say by doing a poc with hbase
(any project relying on zk) and then comparing the impact?

Patrick