There are three points that stand out for me in this thread:

- How do we determine how such a change affects our user base?
- How much effort do the different options induce with respect to maintenance?
- What's the right timeline for changes and how do we communicate them so that
our users have enough time to prepare?

Someone mentioned a PMC vote, and I don't think this should be a closed vote,
independent of how the conversation goes.

-Flavio