On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:07:37 +0100 "Gerhard W. Gruber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:51:07 +1100, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >you willonly then get events when the mouse passes over your thin window.
>
> That's no problem as long as my window stays on top.

aaah thats a problem.

> >not as a widget - no. you'll have to jump down to gdk. i'm not sure if gdk
> >supports this though. you'll want an inputonly window thats a toplevel window
> >(immediate child of root) thats override-redirect. you'll need to also
> >monitor
>
> I managed to create an invisible window which is only one pixel in widht and
> has the same height as the screen (hardcoded for now, how can I query the
> current resolution?).  The only problem, I still have is, to make the window
> stay on top of all others in order to always receive input events when the
> user moves the mouse to the right border (or where he configured it).

not as easy as it sounds too :)

> Is it possible to create a window that always stays on top? Not only of it's
> own application, but of all application windows.

no. the wm - or any app can go raising windows above yours... you cant clock
windows in place to be on top as such. (ok we can argue of some nasty hacks and
methods if you are the wm... but thats a world on its own.)

> If not, is it possible to get an event when my window is obscured or lowered
> because another window has been raised over it? Actually getting the inof when
> it is obscored would be enough because it only needs to stay accessible all
> the time and for this it doesn't have to be the top window. And can I raise a
> window above all others? I browsed the web for this, but it seems that is also
> not possible. Everytime I think of a new way how to achieve what I need it
> seems to be blocked by X. :(

ok. for a normal window yes its possible to get events to know if you got
obscured. they are called visibilitynotify events. BUT i am actually not sure if
they will be received by inputonly windows. but thats the path you want to go.
you could find if a window has been raised/lowered etc. by monitoring
creatnotifies on root, then on every windows created monitor structurenotifies
then look for configurenotify events and check the stacking sections (above,
window, event). again - i dont know how well gdk(gtk) supports this part of x so
you may have to dump into xlib.

> >all client windows, where they move, go etc. and follow.... i'm still not
> >even 100% sure what it is you want to actually do (in overall aim)
>
> You can take a look in the readme at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/launchmenu, there I explain it. Its just a
> simple app that has been proven quite usefull to me over the years and I wrote
> this for myself because the original source is not portable and the author
> doesn't give away all the source anyway.
> If you don't want to download the package, it is of course in the CVS as well.

hmm how is it meant to work? mouse goes to left or right side of window,
launcher buttons pop up and u click one to run something?

> >there's a whole extension devoted to recording events - the xrecord extension
> >- but i know very little about it. :)
>
> No prob. It wouldn't do what I need anyway.
>
> --
> Gerhard Gruber
>
> Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)

--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
熊耳 - 車君                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)413 451 899    Home Phone: 02 9698 8615