https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NodejsRepackaging

This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.

== Summary ==
We are reworking the Node.js packaging to make Node.js versions
available as parallel-installable packages.

== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:SGallagh| Stephen Gallagher]]
* Email: sgall...@redhat.com

== Detailed Description ==
We will be creating the packages nodejs-16, nodejs-18 and (in April)
nodejs-20. These packages will be parallel-installable (with the
exception of the -devel subpackages) and provide
`/usr/bin/node-$MAJOR`. We will also take advantage of the
`alternatives` subsystem to populate `/usr/bin/node` from the default
Node.js version for that release, or if the default is not installed,
the highest currently-installed version.

Notes:

* The default in Fedora 38 will be Node.js 18. If a user was to
install Node.js 16 and Node.js 20, but not Node.js 18, then Node.js 20
would provide `/usr/bin/node`
* The policy going forward will be to have the most recently-released
version of Node.js at the time of Fedora's expected Beta release date
be the default for that release throughout its lifetime.

== Feedback ==
[https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/nod...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/NLZXYISZPBAU3VXLUZCYSJJ66YH4ALSG/
Mailing list thread]

Neal Gompa raised the question of using a subpackage to own
`/usr/bin/node` instead of using the `alternatives` subsystem, citing
python as an example. My response was that the problem with this is
that I want `/usr/bin/node` to always be available so long as any
`nodejs-$MAJOR` version is installed. It also ensures that the
`node(1)` manpage always matches the `/usr/bin/node` executable.

== Benefit to Fedora ==

=== User Benefits ===
* Provides a simple way to have a different (or multiple) Node.js
interpreters on their system. No dealing with Modularity.
* Enables multiple versions of Node.js on the system (can test code
against different versions without using containers)

=== Packager Benefits ===
* No more modules to maintain.
* Availability of multiple Node.js versions in the buildroot means
that other `nodejs-*` packages can test against multiple supported
options.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
The packaging work is done and can be played with at
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sgallagh/nodejs-alternatives/
today.

* Other developers:
There should be no need to change any dependent packages, though
packagers of Node.js software may wish to take advantage of the
testing opportunities afforded.

* Release engineering:
* Policies and guidelines: We will be updating the Node.js Packaging
Guidelines with the new best practices.
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Alignment with Objectives: N/A

== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
Systems using the existing nodejs RPM package will be upgraded to the
matching `nodejs-$MAJOR` version. Work is pending on how to migrate
users of Modular Node.js to the new packages.

== How To Test ==

== User Experience ==
Done correctly, this should be handled entirely without the user's
need to know about it.

== Dependencies ==

== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: (What to do?  Who will do it?) N/A (not a
System Wide Change)
* Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change)

== Documentation ==
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/nod...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/NLZXYISZPBAU3VXLUZCYSJJ66YH4ALSG/

== Release Notes ==
Multiple releases of Node.js may now be installed in parallel from the
Fedora repositories.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His