Hello,

I work on the ACPICA project (iASL, acpidump, acpiexec, and etc). I’ve been
looking at the EDKII repository and tools that relate to ACPI and ASL.

In particular, I’ve been looking at the trim tool
https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/BaseTools/Source/Python/Trim/Trim.py

According to the source code, the “--asl-file” option replaces #include and
Include (a.k.a. the “ASL include”) with actual contents of the file.

I would prefer everyone to use iASL compiler to do this instead. The problem
with trim is that it makes iASL compiler errors more difficult to understand
because the original file has been preprocessed by trim and the line numbers
from iASL remarks/warnings/errors do not make sense to the programmer... The
iASL compiler handles ASL include statements as well as preprocessor #include
statements. When compiling these files with include statements/directives, iASL
displays the correct line number and file name of the included file. Therefore,
I think it would be beneficial to developers to use only iASL rather than trim
"--asl-files" and iASL to work on ASL files.

I've been talking to some people internally about this trim tool but I would
like to ask this community if anyone has thoughts/opinions on deprecating
trim's ASL option.

Thanks,

Erik