On 04/10/19 22:18, Jordan Justen wrote:
> On 2019-04-10 07:16:34, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> Hi Jordan,
>>
>> I've asked Phil (CC'd) to review this series in my stead. I'll be happy
>> to provide an ACK when Phil gives his R-b (if I should forget, please
>> ping me separately).
>>
>> In the future, please include a cover letter; a cumulative diffstat
>> usually helps with the review. (I've had to check all patches to see
>> that only build.sh is being modified.)
>
> I did create a cover letter, but then I deleted it. I thought I was
> making too much out of it...
Personally I appreciate a cover letter even if it consists only of:
- public repo / branch reference
- one sentence on the goal
- a CC list
- cumulative diffstat

It helps a lot with grouping emails too.

> From what I gather, you don't find this script useful,

That's correct. I prefer to use the "build" utility directly, and I set
it up in every situation where it is needed specifically for that
situation/environment. I have a number of scripts around "build".

Regarding testing / launching QEMU, for years I've considered the QEMU
command line a computer-only interface. I do 99% of my testing via
libvirt, and for the remaining 1%, I have humongous hand-written command
lines, stashed in a bunch of scripts. Whenever I have to change to that
directory on my laptop, I cringe.

It's possible that some "simple" command lines exist for QEMU, but for
me they've always turned out deceptive. They are simple to *start*, but
soon you find you have to add 7 more options, and now your command line
stretches multiple lines in your terminal and it's hard to navigate, so
you start writing a script in order to break each option to a separate
line with a backslash, but then some individual options are still too
long to fit into 80 characters, so you introduce shell variables for
abbreviations, etc etc etc grrrrr. :)

Libvirt puts all that to rest.

> and therefore I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one that uses it. :)

I can't tell, but even if you are, that should be no problem! It's just
that I might not have much time to review or discuss changes to it. I
really dislike this situation, but I'm at the point where I'm
practically *stealing* the time to discuss anything that's not directly
assigned to me. :(

Laszlo