On 03/30/20 19:44, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 19:11, Sean via Groups.Io
> <sean.brogan=microsoft....@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:04 AM, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>>
>> Is there any way I could contribute ArmVirtQemu to this? Or would it
>> be easier if I provided comments/instructions?
>>
>> Either way.
>> Any instructions you provide would be great.  I was going to hack something
>> up for feedback but happy for someone else to do it.   Let me know.
>
> OK, so the typical invocation would be
>
> qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu cortex-a57 -m 1024 -net none
> -nographic -bios .../path/to/QEMU_EFI.fd -hda
> fat:rw:.../path/to/startup.nsh
>
> The only complication compared to OVMF is that there is no separate
> serial port for debug output vs console output, so everything is going
> to come out of the same pipe, and grep'ing the console output for
> meaningful strings may easily result in false positives. (-pflash
> could be used as well, but doesn't really add anything in this case,
> and QEMU for ARM has a quirk where pflash images must be exactly 64 MB
> in size)

I'm begging you not to introduce instances of "-bios" anywhere near
edk2. Please? :) We need to educate QEMU users, and we need to keep our
sanity when facing bug reports. Let's not set bad examples anywhere, if
we can manage.

I think truncate(1) can do what we need for padding, without actually
allocating those MBs.

Thanks!
Laszlo