On 08/19/20 18:20, Gao, Liming wrote:

> [...]

Yes, exactly.

We must apply the same deadline to all features. If one feature is
important enough for delaying the SFF, then patch review for other
pending features is resumed as well.

>>> What doesn't make sense is making rules and then breaking them
>>> opportunistically, whenever they're uncomfortable. If that's a frequent
>>> occurrence, we should pick different rules, or -- again -- if this is a very
>>> important patch, we should delay the release for it.
>
> I suggest to define the process on delay the release. The initial process is
> specified here.
> The requestor provides the justification why his patch needs to catch the
> stable tag after SFF phase.
> All stewards make the decision whether delay the stable tag to include his
> patch.
> If stewards agree to delay the stable tag, and there is no objection from the
> community,
> the release maintainer will update edk2 release planning with new date.
> If stewards rejects to this request, there is no change in stable tag
> release.

I'm OK with delaying the release by one or two weeks, for any feature(s)
currently pending review on the list. (If we go for two weeks, we should
likely change the name of the upcoming stable tag.)

(Some projects don't even propose cut-off dates, they say "we'll make a
release when we have enough stuff to release, and when all of those
things are complete". That's another approach to consider.)

Thanks
Laszlo