> On Sep 1, 2020, at 4:35 PM, Matthew Carlson <matthewfcarl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> A recent topic on the RFC mailing list went out and the work on moving
> Basetools/Sources/Python to a separate repo has started. See the RFC
> conversation here: https://edk2.groups.io/g/rfc/topic/74009714#270
> <https://edk2.groups.io/g/rfc/topic/74009714#270>
>
> The repo in question is here: https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-basetools
> <https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-basetools>
>
> The current plan is shortly after the stable tag is created, a series of
> patches will come into edk2 that redirects the build system into the new
> python module as well as adds additional documentation. You can see a sample
> of this work here: https://github.com/matthewfcarlson/edk2
> <https://github.com/matthewfcarlson/edk2> as this has a branch that has the
> work required to use the basetools pip module. The patches won't delete the
> Basetools/Sources/Python folder but will allow users to select between them.
> After a certain grace period, the python folder will be deleted and the pip
> module will be the de facto way of using basetools.
>
> Three questions need to be answered:
>
> 1. After the patches that enable the pip module land, how long should the
> grace period be?
> 2. During the grace period, should basetools commits land in both places or
> just in the edk2-basetools directory?
> 3. How should the user be able to select which basetools to use (the one in
> EDK2 or the pip module)? Currently the approach being considered is a simple
> environmental variable? One of the key considerations is transparency since
> it won't be apparent what is being used for a particular build without some
> sort of mechanism to notify the developer. With two seperate versions of
> Basetools, it becomes very easy for the version of basetools you're using to
> not be the one you expect.

Matthew,

I’ll throw out some current developer centric ideas.

1) If you `source edksetup.sh` (edksetup.bat) you get the current behavior, and
you add an argument you get the pip flavor? So maybe `edksetup.bat
pip-basetools`?
2) We have similar issues to this with env variables and the build command
dumps them out when it runs. Can we use the current EDK_TOOL_PATH? Or maybe add
an extra print to show that the pip module is being used?

Thanks,

Andrew Fish