Hi Tobin,

as mentioned in the reply to the QEMU patches posted by Tobin, I think the
firmware helper approach is very good, but there are some disadvantages in the
idea of auxiliary vCPUs. These are especially true in the VMM, where it's much
nicer to have a separate VM that goes through a specialized run loop; however,
even in the firmware level there are some complications (as you pointed out) in
letting MpService workers run after ExitBootServices.

My idea would be that the firmware would start the VM as usual using the same
launch data; then, the firmware would detect it was running as a migration
helper VM during the SEC or PEI phases (for example via the GHCB or some other
unencrypted communication area), and divert execution to the migration helper
instead of proceeding to the next boot phase. This would be somewhat similar in
spirit to how edk2 performs S3 resume, if my memory serves correctly.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Paolo