Hey Wenyi,

Sorry, I cannot help with the time one, but "partial chain" is how virtually any other crypto-solution works out-of-the-box. Basically there is a disagreement about what defines a root certificate, and while some think it is the OpenSSL default of requiring a self-signed certificate for root, many people including myself strongly disagree and do not believe it follows from the RFCs. I'm not aware of any bad security implications of either model. So, this merely allows any certificate in the chain (the top one may be self-signed *if* it even is a certificate, it may just as well be a trusted public key for all we know) to be eligible to be added to the trust store and root a trust chain.

Further reading: https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/7871

Cc CryptoPkg maintainers and edk2-devel for further feedback

Best regards,
Marvin