On 9/28/21 5:14 AM, Leif Lindholm wrote:

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 20:17:50 -0600, Rebecca Cran wrote:
I'd like to propose adding EFI_MP_SERVICES_PROTOCOL support for
AARCH64 systems. I've attached two patches to implement support for it
in the DXE phase, based on code in EmulatorPkg and UefiCpuPkg. It's added
under ArmPkg for now, but longer term it should probably be moved into
UefiCpuPkg.

Patch 1/2 is the start of addressing the issue that the Aff0 field of
the MPIDR is no longer guaranteed to be the core, and should be referred
to in a more generic way: for example it could be the thread, with Aff1
being the core and Aff2 the cluster. Clearly much more work is needed
to fully remove that assumption.
Just to add to this:
Aff0 was never defined by the architecture to be the "core", it was
just the smallest schedulable entity. The intent being that whether
you had multiple hardware threads per core or not, you could just use
the affinity to determine whether
There is also a bit in the MPIDR to indicate whether the core *had*
multiple hardware threads.

In recent processors (without any change to the architecture), ARM
thought it would be beneficial to keep software developers on their
toes by starting to use the hyperthreading layout even for processors
without hyperthreading support. I.e. Aff0 is always 0 even though MT
is 0:
https://developer.arm.com/documentation/100798/0301/Register-descriptions/AArch64-system-registers/MPIDR-EL1--Multiprocessor-Affinity-Register--EL1
The justification being that an SoC might contain both processors
with and without multiple hardware threads per core.

Anyway, the point is that from at least Cortex-A76 onwards, Aff0 no
longer maps to CoreId universally, and Aff1 no longer maps to
ClusterId, for all non-threaded implementations.
So we need to start cleaning up this use.
This will possibly break some out-of-tree platforms, but I figure
we're far enough from next stable tag for that not to matter too
much.

This patch will also break out-of-tree platforms because it causes ArmPkg/Drivers/CpuDxe to gain a dependency on MpInitLib.

--
Rebecca Cran