> > I still think we don't need a runtime switch.  Continue using 8254TimerDxe
> > for
> > CSM_ENABLE=TRUE builds should be enough.
> >
> Thanks for your detailed explanation. I agree we don't need a runtime switch.
> Just use CSM_ENABLE=TRUE in *.dsc/*.fdf to switch 8254 and lapic in build
> time.
> I will submit a separate patch series for this change.
>
> There are 4 .dsc which include the 8254Timer.
>  - OvmfPkg/AmdSev/AmdSevX64.dsc
>  - OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32.dsc
>  - OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32X64.dsc
>  - OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgX64.dsc
>
> Do you think we should apply the changes to all above 4 .dsc?

For the AmdSev config it doesn't make sense to support a CSM.
So I' suggest to just remove support for CSM_ENABLE=TRUE (separate
patch), then use the lapic timer unconditionally.

For the three OvmfPkg* configs using 8254TimerDxe with CSM_ENABLE=TRUE
and LapicTimerDxe otherwise is fine.

take care,
  Gerd