Hi,

> Personally, I would like to use plain OVMF without any bhyve specific patches
> as firmware for bhyve. So, I want to go the qemu route but there's some more
> work to do. I already took a look at how qemu creates ACPI tables but don't
> understand it yet. Would be very grateful if you or someone else could help
> me with that. If someone knows where to find more information about it,
> it would also be helpful.

I think the best documentation you can find is
hw/acpi/bios-linker-loader.c in the qemu source tree.

It's a mini-language telling the firmware about the allocations needed,
about pointers (xsdt references for example) so tables are relocatable,
about checksum needing updates etc.

I think qemu generates everything meanwhile, but it should be possible
to get started with iasl-compiled blobs for tables which don't change,
i.e. start with a static dsdt so you don't need a aml generator for the
first revision.

take care,
  Gerd