> > Hi Ard, I think it better let creator to measure instead of consumer to
> > measure
> like today's implementation in grub[1]. The creator here means who load/create
> it. In direct boot, it is OVMF read kernel command line and initrd image. In
> grub
> boot, it is grub2.  Because the number of consumer like Linux kernel could be
> more than 1, but the creator is single.
>
> I agree with this in principle.

So you are not against to do measurement in loader like current does in grub
and OVMF, correct? I think it is OK even do twice measurements on cmdline and
initrd for the corner case.
In past month, I just submit patch in grub to do CC measurement at
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=4c76565b6cb885b7e144dc27f3612066844e2d19

> However, there are corner cases that we would like
> to cover, such as booting Linux from the EFI shell.

I remember Bottomley or someone mentioned to use CONFIG_CMDLINE and
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE, such as
https://blog.decentriq.com/swiss-cheese-to-cheddar-securing-amd-sev-snp-early-boot-2/
 for this corner case, especially for confidential container use case without
grub.

Or in general, any loader that
> knows how to load an image and pass a command line, but may not be aware of
> whether or which flavor of measured boot is being used by the platform.

This is headache.... but if loader do not know, why kernel know? How to
guarantee both loader and kernel know for consistent measurement results?

> > In another side, "EFI stub" is bind to EFI boot protocol and "EFI handover
> protocol" is deprecated in grub 2.06[2]. (CC to Daniel).
> >

> Apologies, I don't understand this sentence.

May be I am wrong.  I mean whether "EFI stub" code is only valid for "EFI
handover protocol", or is it also valid for Linux 32bit/64bit boot? See
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/x86/boot.html
If it is only valid for "EFI handover protocol", then it is deprecated. So "EFI
stub" code for measurement will not work for Linux 32bit/64bit boot.