On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 at 12:11, Gerd Hoffmann <kra...@redhat.com> wrote:

>   Hi,

> Can this also be flipped at runtime?

Currently, it is fixed or patchable, which means that you can override
it at build time only. I don't think making this a dynamic PCD would
be difficult, and on QEMU, we can set the value early enough if we key
it off fw_cfg or something like that.

But that implies that you need a 'permissive' mode to invoke QEMU,
which ends up being always enabled, most likely, so I'm not sure this
is an improvement.

> Does this pcd work the same way on all architectures?

In principle, yes. However, I cannot vouch for the X86 code not doing
dodgy things with data regions, so whether the same *value* works
reliably across all architectures is a separate matter.

> > I don't think having different versions of the image makes sense, tbh,
> > but of course, this is up to the distros.
>
> Fedora has reverted the patch for now, and I don't see how we can enable
> that anytime soon given that RHEL-8,9 with loooooong support times ship
> broken grub binaries today.

Yeah. This is really disappointing.

> > Compatibility with ancient downstream GRUB builds is not a goal of the
> > EDK2 upstream, so as long as distros can tweak the build to their
> > needs, I don't see a reason to revert this change upstream.
>
> The versions are not that ancient.  The problem is more that upstream
> grub is really slow on integrating patches so every distro does carry
> a huge pile of downstream patches.  And they seem to re-introduce the
> bug ...
>
> But, yes, just reverting upstream too doesn't look like a good option
> either, we need at least a little pressure to get things fixed.

Indeed.