On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:11:34 +0000,
Ard Biesheuvel <a...@kernel.org> wrote:

>  (cc Marc)
>
> Context:
> - on my TX2 (with the S1PTW r/o memslot fix applied), the new version
> of ArmVirtQemu that uses an initial ID map in emulated NOR flash works
> fine.
> - in Oliver's case (which is a slightly different flavor of TX2), it
> crashes extremely early, presumably at the point where this ID map is
> activated.

Oliver seems to have a vintage ThunderX (aka the worst arm64
implementation in history!), so it is indeed a very different beat
from TX2.

Without the kernel patch[1], I can trigger the issue pretty reliably,
specially in the absence of THP. It all depends on the layout of the
EDK2 object and the order in which pages get mapped.

The first course of action would be to make sure that the patch is
applied to the host kernel. If this still fails to boot, I'm happy to
help investigating it.

        M.

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/patch?id=406504c7b0405d74d74c15a667cd4c4620c3e7a9