On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 8:00 PM Kinney, Michael D <
michael.d.kin...@intel.com> wrote:

> Sounds like a reasonable feature request to disable install of all
> external tools.  Pytools uses GitHub issues, so a feature request like
> this can be entered there.

There was a discussion about this
(https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-pytool-extensions/discussions/323),
where some possible
approaches were described.
Back then we were under the time pressure of getting the CI patches in
before Dec 1st (the
day the ubuntu-18 image was expected to disappear from Azure Pipelines).
In the end the solution of deleting the ext_dep files was accepted.
I opened a feature request here:
https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-pytool-extensions/issues/416

> One caution on this approach is that you make see passing conditions using
> your local versions of dependent tools,
>
> but when you submit a PR and the CI tools run with potentially different
> tools, there may be failures.
>

> If a failure it detected, then you will likely need to install the same
> version of tools the CI uses to reproduce,
>
> debug, and resolve.

Sure.  But at least there would be a good way to bring your own tools.

- Oliver