Hi,

I've noticed that the edk2 ext4 driver does case-insensitive filename
matching.  I know the fat filesystem is case-insensitive, and the uefi
spec describing the fat filesystem also explicitly says it is
case-insensitive.  On a quick scan I can't find anything in the uefi
spec requiring *all* filesystem drivers being case-insensitive though.

So I'm wondering whenever the ext4 driver behavior is correct.  It
certainly is different than the linux kernel's behavior which is (by
default) case-sensitive.

Also note that the linux kernel ext4 driver recently got support for
case-insensitive file names, which must be explicitly enabled for both
filesystems (EXT4_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_CASEFOLD) and directories
(EXT4_CASEFOLD_FL).

On practical terms I've ran into actual problems due to Fedora mounting
the ESP at /boot/efi[1] and UKIs (unified kernel images) should be
placed in EFI/Linux on either ESP or XBOOTLDR partition, which on fedora
translates to /boot/efi/EFI/Linux (ESP) or /boot/EFI/Linux (XBOOTLDR).
So I have both /boot/efi and /boot/EFI ...

take care,
  Gerd

[1] Yes, a bad choice for a number of reasons, but changing that isn't
    easy as this is hard-coded in a unknown number of places :(