On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 at 10:17, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 1/5/24 01:05, Rebecca Cran via groups.io wrote:
> > I noticed recent commits by Jeff Brasen, Jake Garver, Joey Vagades and
> > Michael Roth have funky Author lines, which I think means .mailmap needs
> > updated?
> >
> > Author: Jeff Brasen via groups.io <jbrasen=nvidia....@groups.io>
> > Author: Joey Vagedes via groups.io <joeyvagedes=microsoft....@groups.io>
> > Author: Jake Garver via groups.io <jake=nvidia....@groups.io>
> > Author: Roth, Michael via groups.io <Michael.Roth=amd....@groups.io>
>
> I'm sure I'm confusing the terms here, but this is a consequence of
> DMARC / DKIM / whatever, for some senders. groups.io cannot resend some
> kind of messages to list subscribers where the original sender domain
> (such as nvidia.com, microsoft.com, amd.com) is cryptographically
> authenticated. If groups.io resent those messages with identical "from",
> then the recipients (list subscribers) would reject those messages,
> because they'd perceive the messages as fakes (the crypto check would
> catch that the messages came from groups.io but claimed to originate
> from nvidia.com, microsoft.com, amd.com -- that's exactly what DKIM /
> DMARC etc etc are supposed to prevent). Therefore groups.io rewrites the
> sender email addresses like seen above, and then "git-am" picks up those
> rewritten addresses verbatim. That's how they end up in the git commit
> history.
>
> This can be manually fixed by whoever applies such patches from the
> list: after the initial "git-am", a git-rebase is needed, and each patch
> needs to have its author meta-datum fixed with "git commit --amend
> --author='corrected email address'". It's a lot of manual and error
> prone work (unless someone scripts it, effectively "decoding" the
> rewriting format that groups.io employs). As much as it pains me to
> admit it, this is definitely an argument in favor of git forge-based
> contributions, and against mailing list-based patches.
>
> ".mailmap" can be used to mitigate this issue, per gitmailmap(5); it'd
> be better just not to permit such mangled "From:" fields to seep into
> the git log, in the future. :/

Agreed, and I think this came up somewhere last year perhaps? Mike
Kinney (cc'ed) might remember if that went anywhere, but the idea was
for PatchCheck.py (which is also used in CI) to reject patches using
an email address in this format.

Note that git am does support a 'From: ' header as the first line of
the commit log, and will use it correctly to supersede the From:
header in the SMTP envelope.