On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 at 14:07, Nhi Pham <n...@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:

> On 1/12/2024 4:45 PM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> > (Independently: I think that's a valid thing to do for *SMM* drivers,
> > because the entry point functions of those drivers are permitted to use
> > both SMM and DXE/UEFI protocols. But whether the same is valid for the
> > *standalone* MM drivers -- that looks questionable. Standalone MM
> > drivers should not depend on UEFI/DXE protocols ever, IIUC.)
> >
> >> 3) The issue is patching the grammar in place, why can’t we just make a
> >> copy for the dispatcher grammer, and operate on the copy. Maybe via a
> >> copy on 1st update strategy?
> >
> > Yes, copying the depex to the heap, and patching it there, was Nhi's #1
> > fix proposal. I think that could be made work. But I'm not sure if the
> > perf savings are worth the additional complexity. The heap allocation
> > (where the writeable depex would exist) would have to be permanently
> > associated with the loaded PE image -- because the dispatcher might need
> > to reevaluate the depex across multiple rounds of dispatching. So that's
> > a new field in some image-related structure, it also needs to be freed
> > upon unload (?), what if the memory allocation fails during depex eval
> > (just consider the depex to eval to FALSE?), etc. Doable, but hairy; not
> > sure if the perf is worth that effort.
> >

> Thanks so much, Laszlo for your valuable insights.
>
> The approach #1 works for me. I will do further check for your concerns
> above.
>
> I'm trying your suggested patch and investigating the performance being
> discussed here.

Not sure what approach #1 means, but I'd prefer to just remove this
optimization from standalone MM, given that not only a) it shouldn't
have to deal with a large number of protocol GUIDs, but also b) the
driver dispatch is much more straight-forward. (Typically, StMM
drivers can be dispatched in the order they appear in the firmware
volume, in which case each DEPEX is evaluated only once anyway)