On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 12:56 PM Gerd Hoffmann <kra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 08, 2024 at 08:53:10AM +0100, Phillip Tennen wrote:
> > Hi, thank you for taking a look at the patch!
> >
> > This patch can be verified to be working with this app (which was the
> > motivation for submitting this):
> > https://github.com/codyd51/uefirc/releases/tag/1.0.1.
>
> Quoting https://github.com/codyd51/uefirc:
>
>     Q: Should I use this?
>     A: This should not exist.
>
> Well.  This certainly one of the more interesting ways to have some fun
> and improve your rust coding skills.  But a justification to include a
> mouse driver by default which is not used by anything else?  IMHO it
> isn't.

Maybe some better reasons:

1) It has been conspicuously missing from OVMF. I've heard N questions
over the years (on the #osdev IRC, etc) regarding their mouse code not
working on OVMF, whereas you'd see that protocol in other normal
platforms
2) UsbMouseDxe is part of upstream MdeModulePkg and has no testable
upstream consumers. One needs to patch their OVMF to test this easily
(or flash it onto some other hardware, which is hard to get for most
people, except for maybe the rpi platforms).
3) I don't believe (or would hope) OVMF maintainers will have
maintenance overhead from the inclusion. One would hope UsbMouseDxe
as-is is correct, and that the QEMU USB mouse is correct (or you'd see
the problem from the guest OS's side as well).
4) Mouse support is part of the spec (if you want to argue it
shouldn't be in the spec in the first place, I'd agree)

For sure, UsbMouseDxe isn't #1 on my most desired EFI modules list
(e.g I'd love to eventually be able to consume Ext4Dxe from OVMF,
where it'd actually be useful, if I can ever ditch edk2-platforms),
but I don't really see the harm in doing it.

There's an argument in giving people a full-fledged UEFI
implementation of most protocols. OVMF is *the* platform in mainline
edk2 after all :)

--
Pedro