On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 10:40:23AM GMT, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> As I pointed out before, on the ARM side there are a few intersecting
> issues with these changes. (On x86, this is mostly avoided due to the
> fact that RDRAND is universally supported)

Well, it's not that easy on x86 either.

Current state of affairs is that the time based LibRng is used, all
OvmfPkg / ArmVirtPkg have this:

  RngLib|MdeModulePkg/Library/BaseRngLibTimerLib/BaseRngLibTimerLib.inf

So, this is what will be used if something uses LibRng.

On x64 RngDxe will just use call LibRng too.  So adding RngDxe will
effectively make BaseRngLibTimerLib available via EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL.

In case '-device virtio-rng-pci' is present we now have *two* drivers
providing EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL.  What will happen in this case?  What we
surely not want is RngDxe being used in case we have a virtio-rng
device ...

take care,
  Gerd