On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Paul Keogh wrote:

> > - logging facility: access.log data may be stored to mysql db,
> > especialy for automatic billing support.
> > - configuration facility: multi-groups like sms-user, sms-service,
> > ota-config may be stored in mysql db, so there may be added or
> > manipulated while runtime and the service would not have to be
> > restarted to get notice of an update. This would make thinks
> > particular slower, but may add incredible functionality gains.
> >

> I think the DB interface would be quite useful but I would echo comments
> from a previous post to ensure that there is a gw_ style wrapper approach
> so that use is optional.
>
> Updating running configurations is much tricky and doesn't depend
> on holding the configuration in a DB. There was some discussion
> lead by Lars some time ago about doing this so the archives
> might hold some interesting comments. Unfortunately, all Kannel
> code assumes that config file is read once at start-up and would
> require major surgery to move to a dynamic model.

My custom tests can handle reload of configuration files via HTTP
administration interfaces. For sendsms-users and sms-services, it does
it 'on fly', but for other groups it restarts Kannel (which also can now
 be done via HTTP, i.e. without external start/stop script).
Even for those groups which can be dynamically loaded it currently means:
  - lock system down
  - reload
  - release system

In any case, it is something and usable for most needs, and can be tweaked
quite easily (just split reloading into small parts), I just have had no
time to do that yet.

However, alas, it is based on that modification I did that smsbox is now
merged to bearerbox etc. i.e. quite drastic modifications. So I simply
cannot send a patch. (I have also replaced urltrans with own modules for
 sms-services and sendsms-users as they are practically different thing
 and removed some things rarely used and making things complicated)

But a database interface in serial to http:, fixed-text: and file: is a
very interesting idea. In any case, as soon as I really get things cleared
I will start to check out again what can be applies as patch..

PS: who controls Kannel releases now?

--
        &Kalle  ||  http://iki.fi/rpr/